At New Year I broke a habit of a lifetime and made some resolutions. I’ve never done it before, because I’ve always thought that you should either get on and do something or not bother at all. However, research has shown that you’re more likely to do something if you publicly state that you’ll do it, and that people who regularly set themselves goals get further in life than those who don’t. So what the hell, I thought.
Anyhoo, this is my review at the mid-point of the year of what the heck I’ve achieved from the list.
1. Play at least ten games (roleplaying or board) that I have never played before.
Since New Year I’ve played three new board games:
– A Game of Thrones board game
– Cosmic Encounter board game
…and six roleplaying games:
– Apocalypse World (sort of – I’ve played two first sessions thereof)
– Archipelago II
– The Extraordinary adventures of Baron Munchausen
– Lady Blackbird
2. play a full roleplaying session, not just a one to one, entirely over Skype (or G Chat).
Not done. In fact I’d forgotten about this one, which is a poor show on my part. Glad I had this mid-year review thingy.
3. Read at least ten sci-fi and/or fantasy authors I’ve not read before, including at least five women.
Since New Year I’ve read:
– Spin State by Chris Moriarty (technically I started this in 2011)
– Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
– The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
– This Alien Shore by CS Friedman
– The True Game by Sheri S Tepper
– Faith and Fire by James Swallow
– The Windup Girl by Paul Bacigalupi
– Green by Jay Lake
– A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M Miller Jr.
…and I’ve started Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey.
4. Write a complete roleplaying system.
I’ve been working on this with Frax and Chrestomancy. Project Quick Draw is currently in alpha playtesting.
5. Complete my murder mystery for Undying King games.
Not done. No progress made so far this year… but there’s plenty of time left.
In short I’ve made a lot of progress in trying new things and somewhat less progress in creating new things. Though having said that, I’ve also written a Fiasco playset (will be published here soon) and launched Black Armada, both of which probably ought to have been on the list. Fingers crossed I can complete the rest by year end.